It’s the most wonderful time of the year…or so they say. Not everyone thinks so and you may have employees who really struggle this time of year. It’s a good time to show your employees how much you appreciate them and remember that just because it’s Christmas, not everyone is feeling jolly. There are many reasons your people might be stressing this holiday season; end of year projects and deadlines, 4th quarter projections, budget crunches at home, family visits, finding enough time to holiday shop and guilt for taking vacation time. Yep, it can be a really stressful time. Here are few ways to help your employees enjoy the holiday season:
1. Give Cash: If you plan to give anything at all, yes a nice pen set is practical but people want cash…every.single.year.
2. Plan the holiday party during work hours: Your folks are busy, they don’t have time to attend a holiday party after hours at your house…be respectful of their time and plan a lunch during the week.
3. Be flexible with time off: Some people have to travel near and far and others just need extra time to cook the Christmas dinner, reward your employees with surprise afternoons off to help with the stress.
4. Keep it simple: Don’t make your employees decorate the office to the nth degree and your employees are busy checking their lists twice, don’t add more gift giving around the office.
5. Be sensitive: Not everyone on your staff may celebrate Christmas. Also for many, Christmas can be a sad time for those who have lost loved ones. Don’t expect everyone in the office to sing Christmas carols with you.
I hope these tips will help make this year a low-key and stress-free holiday season in the work place.